Double Hung Window visual references

Home Page Forums General Chat Double Hung Window visual references

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Zodiac
    Participant

I'm writing to ask anyone who can - or want - to help me if could provide me with detailed photos of the window type known as Double Hung Window, so I can build a detailed 3D model. It's very common in American homes, but where I live are practically non-existent, and Google don't help me with as I would (or maybe I do not enter the correct search parameters).

Thanks in any case.

AndyMc4
    Participant

Andersen and Pella are two of the major window vendors, and the appropriate pages in their catalogues are:

http://www.pella.com/windows/double-hung-windows/

or

https://www.andersenwindows.com/windows-and-doors/windows/single-hung-and-double-hung-windows/

There are even CAD files on the Andersen site if you dig around a bit.

By the way, insect screens are typical if not universal on windows, certainly in the North East where I live. These fit on the outside of the window and if you want 100% accuracy, you probably should model these. If nothing else, they do affect light quality - they are a mesh on the outside of the window. The catalogues show these.

Hope this helps. If not, let me know, we have double-hung windows so I could take some photos (but not today - its pouring with rain!)

Ethiopia
    Participant

*Chuckle* The variety of subjects here never fails to bring a smile to my face. Crank operated swing open windows are becoming more popular because they seal better. Unfortunately they're also a bit more expensive. I'll also vouch for screens. In North America, they're essential as we have mosquitoes and various fly species everywhere...some spots worse than others.
    @AndyMc4, by the way, are you in the business?

AndyMc4
    Participant

@not-hunter, No, I'm not in the business, but I replaced some windows so have done the due diligence (I could add that I did the installation myself, but given that I could not get a building permit because I don't have a contractor's license, maybe I should keep quiet ...)

Ethiopia
    Participant

Around here folks (mostly) do their own upgrades and maintenance without thinking about effing permits. It's just another way the government can gouge us for more taxes by increasing the value of your house. I've done a pile of home renovations and have an endless supply of horror stories. There's a lot of folks who shouldn't be allowed to own a hammer. I assume you've seen a lot of crappy workmanship showcased on 'Holmes on Homes'.

Dragon
    Participant

Never heard of double hung. We have double paned..
    I hear you Ethiopia. Here in my state they want a permit for me to put up a vinyl top carport. Not happening. And I'm not getting a permit for the wood structure I'm building over the goats house either. HA!. lol (I'm out in the country).

Ethiopia
    Participant

YOU'RE out in the country? I can't put my garbage out until just before the truck comes or the bears tear into it. A damn moose ate all my pears off the tree this fall. Yet, with the all the bloody wildlife around here, our veggie garden goes unscathed. The cats keep the birds out of the blueberries and the racoons and skunks don't bother with all the other stuff....go figure.
    E.

AndyMc4
    Participant

A high proportion of our raccoons have rabies, which changes them from naturally aggressive to psychopathic and a guaranteed trip to hospital if you encounter one. But to neatly bring this back to windows and insect screens (well, sort of ...), I would trade raccoons, skunks, bears or moose for our mosquitoes which carry at various times West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encepalopathy.

Zodiac
    Participant

Thanks you all for your stories, are more interesting than my request, really. I live in Italy, and listening stories from other countries it's always interesting for me. Italy is generally a country known for the high amount of taxes and their cost, corrupt politicians and its collusion with mob and a lot of other terrible things, but read that to replace their own home window needs all those permissions, it's absurd also for someone accustomed to the dirty affairs of this country.

But anyway, @mcmodeler4 thank you very much for the links you left me, they are really useful (although I do not find the section with CAD files).

As for the animals: be kind and pity them. Humans are taking possession of every sphere of nature in this world, but we don't forget that this planet belongs to animals as much as we do, so it is normal that if their habitat is destroyed or plundered of the resources needed to survive, they are increasingly moving in the anthropized areas.

But perhaps this may seem just banal rhetorical.

Ethiopia
    Participant

If you look at demographics over the past several decades you'll see that we're becoming increasingly urban. Rural jobs such as farming and logging are becoming increasingly mechanized, leading to the loss of many traditional jobs while there's many more office jobs. I suspect that AndyMc4 is in my neck of the woods (I'm on the Canadian East Coast); an area that I know well. I vacation and travel through the US North Eastern States and see the same shift as is happening around here. Small towns are becoming ghost towns as folks move to the cities following the jobs. On a world wide basis the numbers are staggering. I read somewhere that Mumbai gets about a hundred thousand migrants from the rural areas every year. You can spend a lot of time in various Wikis reading about global urbanization and it's effects on the cities.

As far as the animals go?...we have no shortage of the things here. In the fall the roads are covered with road kill as the smaller animals migrate to better spots to hibernate. Many people hunt deer and moose, and we experience several deaths a year when cars hit moose. The government has been air dropping raccoon food laced with rabies vaccine to curb the problem and it seems that everyone is trying get rid of mosquitoes.

Having visited Europe several times I know that you have a different experience since there's a lot of people in a (comparatively) small area. Over here (in the 'colonies') we've not been here long enough to really spread out much. Flying across Canada or the US, one sees mostly forests with cities here and there. The only place I would call overcrowded is Los Angeles. That city never quits.

AndyMc4
    Participant

Zodiac, the CAD files are on a page linked from the page whose URL I sent yesterday, go to https://www.andersenwindows.com/for-professionals/documents/ then scroll down to Architectural tools

Ethiopia, yes, I am in New England (MA). Not far enough North for moose or bears strictly speaking, but bears are moving in and becoming urbanized (even the wildlife ...) I had just typed a much fuller reply worthy of your post but lost it when I clicked on the link to the Andersen Web site and opened their page on top of this. Bugger it, I'm not going to retype it, but I see everything you are describing

Ethiopia
    Participant

@AndyMc4,
    You gotta visit this...
    http://owlshead.org/
    ...if you haven't already. I stop there every almost every year.
    Then there's...
    http://www.redseatsmaine.com/
    A few years ago a group of us were returning from a vintage car auction in Carlisle PA, and one gent was adamant that we had to stop at this place. We hit it just before the lunch crowd and thoroughly enjoyed it. It pays to stick to the back roads.
    E.

Dragon
    Participant

A few bear sightings (rare), but we have elk, deer, cougar and wolves. Its demographics. Bear are more abundant about 20+ miles north of me.

Ethiopia
    Participant

If I wasn't paranoid about the content providers trying to use information in these forums to find and identify people, it would be interesting to see where folks are. Elk means out west and fairly far north. I spent some time (years back) in northern Alberta before the oil boom and saw wolves, way off in the distance, from time to time. Cougars are generally found in or near the mountains as I recall. We've had a few sightings of the Eastern Red Cougar around here. They're fairly small and present no danger to humans. Zodiac will be encouraged by this since it means that they're moving back into their original territory.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like