careful of some blu ray dvds

Home Page Forums General Chat careful of some blu ray dvds

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tony
    Participant

Hi
    i have come a cross alot of blue ray dvds looks like they got lazy alot
    of them are from vhs
    conan is not remastered at all and not 5.1 at all
    and the night of the living dead 50th its not remastered at all
    the omega man
    logans run looks like it was ripped right off of a vhs copy
    and planet of the apes 1968 you have to turn up your sound to 70 to hear a word

Bill Boggs
    Participant

You are either downloading poor quality rips or buying bootlegs. All of these films look fantastic on blu ray.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

There are entire communities and websites discussing different Blu-ray releases and their pros and cons. e.g. https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Conan-the-Barbarian-Blu-ray/23286/

Differing versions have different cuts and use different prints as master so sometimes you will get some crappy quality versions. Mostly though you won't get anything worse than a version that was cleaned up for DVD release and then re-purposed for Blu-ray. And that is pretty few and far between. If you're picking up discs that have VHS quality prints then you are probably picking up some very dodgy versions from somewhere, maybe even pirated?

I've got Planet of the Apes (the boxset) and the print is gorgeous and clear with rich colours throughout. I had a version of Logans Run and the picture was nice and crisp but it was a little flat/muted, although I think that was just the film design. Neither was anywhere near being the level of VHS or DVD though.

Did you get all your offending discs from the same place?

tony
    Participant

nope the real blue rays if you buy the same ones you will see they look bad
    they came from Walmart and best buy new

EvilMonkey
    Participant

I think you can check the disc version you have with the catalogue number and a Google search. Try that and then look in http://www.blu-ray.com for the reviews/comments.

I have a bunch of Blurays but I'll freely admit that I have TB's of bluray rips/encodes and I prefer it that way. Less space taken up, no looking for boxes/discs and I can get the preferred version fairly easily. But I'm a pirate at heart. 😛

Dragon
    Participant

Most all of my movies(mostly scifi/Fantasy) is BluRay, if I can find it. All are good quality DLs I keep on an external HD. I'm with EvilMonkey. No boxes/easy to find and I'm also a DragonPirate at heart.

La_Pucelle
    Participant

I was talking with a 21 year old co-worker recently. I mentioned DVDs... her reaction - honestly - was 'How cute, I didn't know anyone still used those'.

😀

EvilMonkey
    Participant

@lapucelle, I remember having betamax cassettes, VHS, laserdiscs and when DVD originally came out. Seeing HD content on a HD screen was a total eyeopener for me but it's just everyday life for almost anyone under 20yo, most people have at least a HD screen in their pocket.

While I'm assured by physical media I long ago found I hated having to manage space for it and with a digital collection it is so much easier to collate your collection.

ADAM
    Participant

I like both. I still have music on 8-tracks but no player.
    I will keep buying dvd-blurays till they stop selling them.
    Same with games. I just like having a physical cppy.

tony
    Participant

i when out and got a new blue ray player WOW all my blue ray dvds look great now
    my last player was 2013

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like