‼ IMPORTANT v2 ‼ Renderotica and RenderHub original download time tracking

Home Page Forums General Chat ‼ IMPORTANT v2 ‼ Renderotica and RenderHub original download time tracking

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Kat
    Participant

People started doing this to Sims 4 CC a year or so ago and it raised awareness in the community, I wouldn't ever imagine this coming to DAZ content as well.

WeAllDeserve2Dice
    Participant

I'm sorry are those altered PDFs new or known to everybody? I'm confused because I followed the guide here, but those points aren't considered in it. Or is this new?

- EndUserLicense.txt (root of the zip) and additional product descriptions in .TXT format
    now are replaced by freshly generated PDF files.

- Unclear if they also alter existing PDFs (parts of documentations), I can not check this,
    I don't have bought products with that.

- Those PDFs are created immediately before download starts - like the .dbf from Renderhub
    with current local time stamp of the download server

- The PDFs contain an unique identifier for the user (downloader) account! Hidden in the
    PDF's metadata!

All (!) image based files are modified by a new time stamp!
    Thumbnails (.png / .duf.png / .png.tip), textures, product cards (support data, also those
    for shape morphs in /data tree), additional images for documentation... they all get the
    server time stamp at time of download!

- Folders affected by those modified image files also may get this new time stamp!

SkippyTheMeh
    Participant

- Those PDFs are created immediately before download starts - like the .dbf from Renderhub
    with current local time stamp of the download server

This was already known about.

- The PDFs contain an unique identifier for the user (downloader) account! Hidden in the
    PDF's metadata!

All (!) image based files are modified by a new time stamp!
    Thumbnails (.png / .duf.png / .png.tip), textures, product cards (support data, also those
    for shape morphs in /data tree), additional images for documentation... they all get the
    server time stamp at time of download!

Metadata in the .pdfs is a new one AFAIK. I think the image timestamps might be as well.

Anna1945
    Participant

Trying to simplify a question, bear with me

I purchase a recently issued item from Render HuB (will stick with Render Hub for
    less confusion)

I download the file, I unzip the file.
    There is a dbf file, I delete it

I rezip the file and post it.

In theory I am Ok and so is the member who downloads it
    Yes?

warrant63

@anna1945 No. The zip will have the date/time showing when you downloaded the file from them and they can ID you with that too.

Anna1945
    Participant

But that would the be original zip file, not the rezip without the dbf file....correct
    Only the dbf file is the danger.

warrant63

If you mean by the "rezip", that you remove the time stamps during this (as the guide says in the first post or as the "not yet official" tools do it for you automatically), then it's ok 🙂

Anna1945
    Participant

No.
    I download file from Renderhub.
    I uzip the files
    I delete .dbf file.
    I rezip the files.
    (Apologize for this but have project planned that could cause ramifications
    if I do this wrong.)
    Items have been accumulated over time in mass.
    Thank you
    Tick.Tock, Tick Tock

Thank you

Ethiopia
    Participant

Thanks for that info @medusa. I knew that someone was keeping on top of this.

Must-IQ
    Participant

I believe they might have changed their tactics regarding this, at least on Renderotica.

I recently checked something I bought a few weeks back and YES there was a license PDF but nothing was particularly notable about it, except the MODIFIED date which was set exactly 5 hours before my DOWNLOADED time. Actually all files had this same modified time, which had nothing to do with any upload or update by the creator.

This might mean that they are now actually tracking by their SERVER TIME and not by your local time, and simply modifying files to mark the time it was bought/downloaded is a way sneakier and more annoying tactic as it forces you to modify all files yourself just to counter that if you want to upload here.

Yes, what @medusa said 🙂

eelgoo

Not really. It seems very plausible to me.

As I have said before, piracy is a form of free advertising.

🙂

Ethiopia
    Participant

I'll bet that few people check these stickies so we're likely going to see some folks banned.
    THEN they'll be in the forum whining about it.

NobunagaOda
    Participant

I purchased something the other day from Renderhub but when I ran it through the unf*cker script, nothing happened. No detracked file was created, nothing. Is that... normal?

mxyzptlk
    Participant

@'otica Your download time is tracked via their server time. If you do the math with time zone adjustments, it still lines up. It's best to do the conversions, as suggested.

With R'Hub, I have noticed the absence of the *.dbf for some time now. However, altering the timestamps is still a best practice...as is staying vigilant looking for/expecting the *.dbf files. We know that some of their vendors lurk here AND use links for their benefit. It is only logical to assume they are aware of what we know and share, information wise.

Kuromugen
    Participant

🤔 Indeed just use the Tool to alter the Packages when buying Stuff!

It's best just to be Safe🫡

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like