Severe privacy violation

Home Page Forums ZoneGFX Announcements Severe privacy violation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nicolas Neumann
    Participant

Hello.

I've been using ZoneGFX for years now, and I've always really enjoyed it. However, two weeks ago, I had a bit of an incident. There was this guy who was really, really angry because years ago I'd apparently criticized one of his works and he'd held a grudge ever since. I joined a new art forum, and he was already a member there. He remembered me. He Googled my name.

Then, he somehow managed to find my name here on ZoneGFX, and he managed to pull up my PURCHASE HISTORY, screenshot it, and put it up on that forum for everyone to see. He accused me of piracy.

My question is, why ON EARTH would a website like ZoneGFX allow any fcking rando (who isn't even a member) to view member's purchase history?? Why is this information publicly available?

I don't have to remind everyone that we operate in a legally grey area? Why aren't our identities and activities better protected?

Feymarcher
    Participant

Well, your mistake in this case was using the same username on various sites, especially on a piracy site like ZoneGFX, so I don't feel sorry for you. :T

It's why a lot of us who are often active on sites like Daz or Rendo's forums never use the name usernames anywhere else.

Weebz
    Participant

Never ever, even if God said Yes, never, use your real identity when pirating. Perfibily have unique aliases so you don't get traced so easily a friend (in the case enemy) of yours can find you.

Now when you say purchase history, I assume you mean the items you've shared with the community, I don't think that's really severe. Sometimes we just want to know how you contribute to this community.

Also, someone in this world could have your same name. You could've easily brush off that e-mail by claiming "that's not me."

Nicolas Neumann
    Participant

This isn't my real name, it's an identity I'm using to do all the things I can't be seen doing. But thanks for the advice, I'll be inventing several new identities right away.

"Now when you say purchase history, I assume you mean the items you’ve shared with the community..."

No, I mean quite literally purchase history. He had full records of every single item I've ever "bought" with points here on ZoneGFX. So why is it possible for a non-member to dig up that kind of information on a member? Or for ANYONE to access that information, for that matter?

jrnkmail
    Participant

It is a tad strange that that info is accessible. If someone wanted to know how you contribute to the community they could just do a blog search with your name and see everything you've shared. I agree that purchase history doesn't seem like something that should be viewable by public or members.

More than a privacy issue, it's an actual security issue on a site like this. I'm just curious what people think the pros of it are, since I've only ever seen it used for personal attacks on this website. Verifying a points transfer is the only use I can think of, in the event someone's points don't seem to have shown up after a request fulfilment.

Me
    Participant

this gets brought up a lot and nothing is ever done about it.. A big deal donor used a search history to humiliate other users. No one really did anything. Feels like no one cares. You need a double verification to get able to purchase anything here, but some rando with 0 access can see any user's complete point usage history..

JJ
    Participant

At the very least there should be a setting that lets you choose whether you want your 'purchase' history to be private or not. I think this should go for other tabs on your profile too. At the very least the should restrict non-members from being able to view someone's profile at all... seems logical to me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘ZoneGFX Announcements’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Post You Might Like