Product page comments - DISQUS

Home Page Forums General Chat Product page comments - DISQUS

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    EvilMonkey
    Participant

Is there a particular reason that there is a Disqus comment section for the product download pages and not part of the forum? I mean, you'd have to have a membership to the site to download the links so why use an external service that's not part of the site? Wouldn't a comment section tied into the site be better and even be able to notify the author of the link/article/product when a comment is submitted?

As it stands I'm pretty sure there are a few members who don't comment because they don't have a disqus account or because any comment made there languishes without much notice often. At least that's how I see it. Disqus.... Discuss.

uq one
    Participant

/signed

I refuse to use disqus. Tracking is the very last thing that we need here.

Even if privacy was not a major concern, I don't use social media, and am not going to give them legal ownership of me and my property over some comments.

Ethiopia
    Participant

Here here. I deleted my Facebook account when the whole tracking thing became an apparent and I use a zillion anti-tracking plugins and extensions to keep the nosy effers out of my life.
    This is one place that HAS to be tracker free.
    E

EvilMonkey
    Participant

Well I'm glad it's not just me that see's an issue with the separate comments section but maybe we need some attention from those that run the site/forum...

Can you give us your views and opinions please @hunter, @Monkseye and @Tomsk?

Tomsk
    Participant

I have never used it and have no plans to. It was part of the site when I arrived.

Hunter is the only person I think that can shed some light on things for you!

eelgoo

TBH apart from tracking issues, I think it has little relevance anyway as there is no notification to the item poster that a comment has been made.

:0/

EvilMonkey
    Participant

The only plus I can think of for having an external comments section is that it can be "impartial" and not modified or edited by the site administrators. Other than that I see no benefit. There's no notification to any members (except maybe the admin) and you have to register with an external service to comment. I just don't know what the logistics are to replacing the system, it may just be baked into the site template.

Monk

What DISQUS???

Guess it's build-in in the WordPress forum program thingy. Maybe @hunter can remove it?

Hunter
    Keymaster

Build in comment get attack by SEO spam bot
    those soft can register and make backlink through comment
    and they make thousand of link in hour 🙁
    External comment don't get attack as SEo backlink didn't work through there service 😀

If you dont want to get track just open a new account for zone and other for your personal use 😀

Checkit1414
    Participant

Personnaly, i only used that comment section a few time, mainly to said a small quick comment on the ressource linked to it. Either to show my appreciation about this item or to thank whoever shared it.

I didn't know the author wasn't getting notified though. 🙁

EvilMonkey
    Participant

@hunter is it only the download link pages that would attract the spambots because of the high traffic? Because they could quite easily create a forum account and post on the forum but to my knowledge they don't. Is it just not worth it for someone to attack the forum with bots and what you're saying is that if the comments section became part of the forum site then the it would be worth it for the bots to post on them as they would get more through traffic?

Would there be a way to limit the amount of posts made per period of time, say one every 5 minutes and nullify hot-linking from within the comments? I'm just thinking of the benefits of having comments built into the site to involve all the members as there are literally thousands of members here but only a fraction involve themselves with the forum. If they are just here for the downloads, then providing an easy method of feedback and thanks at the "point of sale" (I know, I sound like a douche) would be a good thing.

Don_k
    Participant

I wouldn't use Disqus here because the account I have there is under one of my other online personas, none of which have ANY connection to each other except for the passwords in my head.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

I knew I had another point that I forgot about! The products or at least the member posts about the downloads have a comment section or reply function already built in. The trouble is that it's an arse to access, you have to go into the forum, access the member list and choose the poster of the item you want to talk about and look at their activity feed. You can filter to blog posts and then reply to the blog post but it only seems to be visible in their activity feed so you may as well PM them really. But the framework is there... The comments section as it stands right now still bugs me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like