Joan of Arc

Home Page Forums Art Showcase Joan of Arc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    gaver
    Participant

Saw nice portret by @enjoyify so gave it a try to, still lots to learn and every sort of image takes it's own lightset, composition etc.
    So here is Joan....Joan
    link

Daniel45
    Participant

Hello Gaver.
    A render really pleasant to look at.

May be, just may be ...
    Composition: In this case,just take down a little the camera to have the point of interest centered (the eyes).
    The same in "X" for the nose.
    For me, global light could be a little up to clear the face, but if it is an assumed choice, a little more eyes reflect could enhance the scene.
    -
    In an other hand, "Jeanne D'Arc" (I'm french) was a warrior ! ;))
    So, not sure she use make up, and probabily had some (a lot of) scars .
    But this is an other story.
    -
    Only my two cents.
    And I just talk about details for a really nice render.

Daniel

gaver
    Participant

Bon Soir Daniel,
    Thanx for the comment.
    Point of viewis always difficult( I do photography to) There are sometimes so many nice shots, you have to pick one.
    As for the lighting, it is a personal taste I guess, I Like my images on the dark side.
    I do not have a calibrated monitor ( In fact it's a 4K television)
    And I am Dutch, I know Who Jean was.
    Portrayed a "shield-maiden"and I just made the connection.
    Manbey I will do a Joan in a battle scene, but then I switch to G8F for there is , as for now no blood or grim for the G9 series.

enjoyify
    Participant

Well done. Your renders have already "leveled up" with that new gpu!

Daniel45 made good points (especially regarding Joan of Arc and makeup 😉 )

My advice would be to experiment with your camera and your lights.

CAMERA: Play with the Parameters tab of your camera. I like to set the Focal Distance crosshair on the character's eyes. I then usually turn on Depth of Field and pull the DOF planes (FStop) close to the character's body. (Once you have your camera set, remember to Lock the parameters so it doesn't move around.)

LIGHTS: HDRIs can be very useful, but I suggest turning them off while you practice with lighting. (Go to Render Settings--Environment--Set to "Scene Only".) Then set up a simple "3-point light" (basically: one light behind on hair, one light to the side, and one light in the front). Adjust these lights luminance and temperature in the Parameters tab until it looks good to you.

gaver
    Participant

Good Morning @Enjoyify

Thnx again for the reply.
    I did not tamper with the camera setting yet.
    Just playing with light as you said. This to see what changes etc. If I make to many changes on different parts ( light and cam) I find it hard to figure out what's happening.
    One slider at the time , render, check, wonder, try again... 🙂
    i know about camera's ( got a Canon 7D0). So that will be the final stage once I understand the lighting

enjoyify
    Participant

Then you know more than me about both lights and camera settings! I've never had any photography experience -- I learned by playing with the parameters sliders. 😉

gaver
    Participant

I do nature photography and macro's. Love the tiny world, mosses, fungi, insects...
    So no lighting experience

Lucafeelgood
    Participant

portrait portrait portrait...Like ur dark Jeanne. Especially the eyebrows are marvelous.
    When I watch old paintings from Jeanne D’Arc, I can see that Jeanne has used makeup..

gaver
    Participant

Thnx Luca.
    Working on old lady at the moment... lot of trail renders, can't get it to my liking, and the shell has break troughs, so will need some retouching
    Wonder if there is a trick to solve that...

Serge2804
    Participant

Jeanne d'arc, as often showed on statue in france, weared shorter hair 😉 understandable because wearing her armor and helmet. Anyway i recently shoot this image not bad at all, my point of view 🙂
    Jean d'Arc

Serge2804
    Participant

The first steps of my own version of the "Modern" Jeanne d'Arc

https://postimg.cc/D4kGsB1g

La_Pucelle
    Participant

It's a very good portrait of me. I do get a little confused however, @gaver. It wasn't until I clicked to a larger view that I saw that she had her hands near her throat. Because of all the shades of grey, my eyes could not figure out if this was a side view or front view. The hair style you chose is one most related to the 1960s I believe, so that distracted me also. I do like the darkness of the portrait, sets an interesting tone.

@serge2804
    had the right idea on the hair - easy for helmets. I like his subtle color and stance alot, but I want to point out the tree growing out of my head. Ouch, that hurts!
    As for my use of makeup, remember, I was a simple farm girl. The images of me were made by court painters, which you would be, and have the right to take certain poetic license, however.

enjoyify
    Participant

@LaPucelle Your username is in reference to Joan of Arc! I didn't know that!

gaver
    Participant

Second attempt
    Maybe more close to reality

link

enjoyify
    Participant

Well done! You even added a divine god ray for her!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like