How to make it Smart Content

Home Page Forums General Chat How to make it Smart Content

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Laser
    Participant

Hi

How to make downloaded Content into Smart Content, that is main question.

1. maybee you not use Smart Content !
    2. is Smart Content only working with 4.9 and earlier ?
    3. maybee Smart Content is impossible to get working in 4.8 and earlier ?

Since I am new to DAZ 3D, I have a lot to learn.

And to buy content from DAZ 3D main site is far to expensive, sorry that I am not millionaire.
    Install Manager seems to try erase possibility to use downloaded content from other place then the main site.

I have tested original Studio 4.9 and included content work good as Smart Content.

But I can not get any downloaded content (exe,rar,zip,unpacked) to function as Smart Content

I have tried read tips on internet, install at same place as Studio 4.9, change folder Content Directory Manager, tried use Content Package Assist Dim and so on.....

Kind regards

The King
    Participant

If the files are in DIM format you need the manager https://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info

This is what you are looking for if not using dim files and want too.

https://zonegfx.com/forums/topic/create-dim-files-tutorial/

Some people don't use the Smart Content (if you want to do this just unzip the dim files and drop them in your Daz file library default folder location.) but I prefer it.

eelgoo

Yes, thats me.
    I do not use DIM or Smart Content.
    I have a custom runtime folder structure, & as content artists cannot be trusted to
    put similar files in the same location twice I always
    install manually.
    I always work from Content Library.

🙂

The King
    Participant

@eelgoo
    How do you keep track what you have installed? That's what I like the most of the dim system. Makes it easy for me to find files and their locations for when I want to modify them (textures, etc).

Bushman3D
    Participant

Smart Content only shows up if the information is already added to the database editor,I believe

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20018/metadata-tutorial-adding-new-items-to-your-smart-content

eelgoo

Basically I have a system based on strict file nomenclature.
    Firstly the name of the creator of the item, then the base character it is for, then the name of the item.
    For instance under V7 Characters for instance I will have a folder for each merchant, with sub folders for each character.
    I have a similar strict system for clothing & props.
    🙂

The King
    Participant

@Bushman3D This is true but the guide I linked. Allows for you to make the metadata for any file so that it will show in the smart content.

The King
    Participant

@bushman2017 I messed up the tag. Please read the post above.

Laser
    Participant

Thanks for all your response, interesting to see your different views.

Kind regards

Laser
    Participant

@Kooroe
    Are those Smart Content guides applicable to only DAZ 4.8 or 4.9 or both ?
    Or maybee it works best on 4.9 ?
    Thanks for guide links

Kind regards

The King
    Participant

The guide will work on any version after they added smart content to Daz. So version 4 and up I think.

nobdy
    Participant

@Laser, if you have any questions about getting DAZ Install Manager to work offline and from a specific folder (i.e. a folder you would like to drop the DIM files into) I can whip up a DAZ Install Manager tutorial as well. Not sure if I went into too much detail about that in the tutorial Kooroe mentioned earlier.

Laser
    Participant

@nobdy
    We all beginners appreciate tutorials that you experienced users make, that usually always help us a lot.
    It is better with too much detail, then too little.
    Thanks

Kind regards

Laser
    Participant

How can you see if a zip file is DIM ready to make it Smart Content ?

Kind regards

The King
    Participant

Dim files are just zip files that have the correct metadata. Of course, that is an oversimplification of it but will give you a good starting point.

Any set of files can be turned into a dim but if you don't have the metadata you will have to make it yourself for it to show in the smart content panel. Almost all the newer files that come from daz.com are already dim format. Simply drop the zip file in the dim folder (default location is C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads) and run the manager to install. Any custom made Dim files will go there too.

If files come from any other site like renderotica, for example, you will need to make them into a dim format. Then make the metadata for the smart panel to make it show up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like