How to export a prop from a scene as obj?

Home Page Forums General Chat How to export a prop from a scene as obj?

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chatur Chor
    Participant

I need just one asset or prop from a scene, let's say a tree, as an obj file that I can use anytime anywhere by importing it in any other scene.
    I know the process of exporting obj files but the texture locations (and hence surface settings) are all lost on import when I move that exported obj to a different location on my pc. What's the best way to do it ?

Edit: I forgot to add. Eventually I want to delete the original product from my pc and retain that prop as an obj with textures intact.

Richard Yan
    Participant

If you tick 'Write Material Library' when exporting obj file, there'll be a mtl file also exported. You move both of them to the location you want, then there'll be textures when importing obj file back to Daz.
    Or a better way is to save a single prop as a subset or Figure/Prop Asset to the library of your own (e.g. My Daz Library), then you may load it to any other scene afterwards ~

Chatur Chor
    Participant

Thanks Richard for the swift response. But I forgot to add in the post above : Eventually I want to delete the original product from my pc ( save some space ) and retain that prop as an obj with textures intact.

Richard Yan
    Participant

@ashtkon
    Oh, if you just wanna keep obj files, you could delete the product but you need to keep the original texture files. As even if you use the option of Collect Maps, some maps could not be exported with obj (roughness, normal, bump...).

If you go for the 2nd way, the original product must remain otherwise you'll lose the geometry and UVs, etc.

Besides, normally the total file size of objs + textures is larger than the original product 'cause dsf/duf files in Daz could be compressed. If you just wanna save drive space, I don't think it's a good way if only keep obj version...

Chatur Chor
    Participant

Hmm ok. I get the idea of what can be done. Actually I just wanted to save a few props in form of obj files to save space and also to avoid clutter in DAZ library as I won't be using the actual scene / environment ever.
    Thanks once again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like