Convert Clothing G3 to G8, G8 to G3

Home Page Forums General Chat Convert Clothing G3 to G8, G8 to G3

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    wrath
    Participant

THE CONTENT MANAGEMENT/SMART CONTENT HAS TO BE INSTALLED AND WORKING TO USE THIS METHOD. IF YOU CANNOT SEE THE COMPATIBILITY BASE IT IS NOT ON. CHECK THE BOTTOM OF THE SMART CONTENT TAB FOR A "START CMS" BUTTON. IN YOUR DAZ INSTALL MANAGER IT'S CALLED POSTGRES SQL CMS OR SOMETHING SIMILAR.

THIS ALSO WORKS ON HAIR. HAIR AND CLOTHES ARE NOT DIFFERENT IN THE WAY THEY ARE RIGGED. EVERYWHERE THAT I SAY CLOTHING YOU CAN ALSO TAKE THAT TO MEAN HAIR EXCEPT THAT YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO WORRY ABOUT POSING THE ARMS AND LEGS, JUST CHANGING THE SCENE IDENTIFICATION.

Here's the YouTube video.

For this tutorial you need:

Genesis 3 Female from Daz3d.com.
    Genesis 8 Female from Daz3d.com.
    This will only work between these two figures, possibly between their male counterparts in the future if there is a G8 Male. It will not work between any previous figures, or between these and previous figures.

An item of clothing for one of them that you want to convert to the other one.
    Here's a Genesis 3 Pose for Genesis 8, to save time. You can also make your own

Scene Tab and Parameters Tab in Daz Studio 4.9. If you lack a tab, you can add it using Window--Panes (Tabs) and clicking the one that you need.

Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 Clothing

Load Genesis 8 into your scene.

Apply the G3 pose for G8 to Genesis 8.

Deselect Genesis 8 by clicking elsewhere in the scene.

Load your clothing item from the library. It is important that G8 is not selected because we're not using AutoFit.

Click on the clothing item in Scene Tab.

Also in Scene Tab, find the small button at the top right of the tab. Click on it and choose Edit--Scene Identification.

Click on the "..." to the right of "Preferred Base."

A big list pops up. Find Genesis 8 and Female under that. Click Accept. Then click Accept again.

In the Scene tab, Left-click on Genesis 8 Female. Hold down shift and left-click on your clothing item, so both are selected, but Genesis 8 is selected FIRST. The order matters.

Now click the little button on the top right of Scene Tab again.

Choose Edit--Rigging--Transfer Rigging (Figure Space).

Now you can fit the clothing item to Genesis 8 and it should work! Notice how we didn't distort the geometry at all? The base FBMs are also identical, so they should still work properly. The JCMs are not completely identical in my testing, but they're close. If you save the item to the library again (File--Save As--Support Asset--Figure/Prop Assets) make sure you give it a new name so that it doesn't overwrite the original.

Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 High-Heeled Shoes

Load Genesis 8 Female into your scene.

As before, apply the Genesis 3 Female pose for Genesis 8 Female.

Make sure Genesis 8 is not selected.

Load your high-heeled shoes into the scene. I'm using the Austrani boots in the video.

If they came with a foot pose, you can usually just apply it directly to G8 at this point. I did this with the Austrani boots. I also changed the shin bends to -0.72 to minimized visible clipping, and you may need to fiddle with the shin/foot pose to do that too, since G8 has no heel bone.

Select the shoes or boots in the Scene Tab.

Find the small button at the top right of the tab. Click on it and choose Edit--Scene Identification.

A big list pops up. Find Genesis 8 and Female under that. Click Accept. Then click Accept again.

In the Scene tab, Left-click on Genesis 8 Female. Hold down shift and left-click on your shoes, so both are selected, but Genesis 8 is selected FIRST. The order matters.

Now you should be able to fit the boots to Genesis 8 Female and have them work fine.

Adding a Push Modifier to Fix Clipping

This is something most clothing items don't include that can get rid of pesky clipping easily on many items.

Click on the clothing or shoes in the Scene Tab.

Click the little button at top right of the tab.

Choose Edit--Geometry--Apply Push Modifier.

The push modifier is usually applied at a very high value of 1.00, which tends to distort most clothing unacceptably. You can find it in the Parameters Tab under General, where it is now called "Mesh Offset." A value closer to 0.1 or 0.2 is often enough.

Reversing the Process (Genesis 8 Clothing to Genesis 3)

Obviously I don't have a lot of clothing with which to test this, so I had to use my own work-in-progress (haven't bought the bundle yet). But when I did test it, the same process in reverse worked fine. I didn't even include a pose because all you really need to do is set each of Genesis 3's Shoulder bends to 45 or -45 and each thigh's Side-Side to 6/-6.

Load Genesis 3 Female.

Pose as stated. Deselect by clicking on anything else or the background.

Load a Genesis 8 Female clothing item into the scene WITHOUT Genesis 3 selected.

Click on the clothing item in the Scene Tab.

Also in Scene Tab, find the small button at the top right of the tab. Click on it and choose Edit--Scene Identification.

A big list pops up. Find Genesis 3 and Female under that. Click Accept. Then click Accept again.

In the Scene tab, Left-click on Genesis 3 Female. Hold down shift and left-click on your clothing item, so both are selected, but Genesis 8 is selected FIRST. The order matters.

It's exactly the same with shoes, except that you need to also pose the feet to fit inside the shoes if they are high heels before you do the transfer of rigging.

A Note on the V8 Pro Bundle Lingerie Arms Issue

Some items have an issue on back-conversion where the arms snap down on conforming even when this process is followed, including the robe from the lingerie set in Daz's Victoria 8 Pro Bundle. If this happens it may be fixed by going to Parameters/Misc and changing the Fit To Mode to Redirect Transforms instead of Auto Follow Transforms.

Tutorial by SickleYield
    Original Source Link

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like