As Battle of "Takedowns" Escalates Enter: the Torrent

Home Page Forums General Chat As Battle of "Takedowns" Escalates Enter: the Torrent

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Hilather
    Participant

I mean maybe. I just figured if someone is knowledgeable enough to be using DAZ and obtaining content this way to use with it, they would also know how to uncheck or check some boxes in torrent clients. Pretty much every single torrent client I have used it lets you chose the files as soon as you open the magnet link, without even needing any sort of crazy knowledge. It is... super simple.

Of course there is no negative to having instructions available for people.

It is certainly more difficult to keep something as large seeded 100%, as picking and choosing pieces for those who do not download the entire thing does result with people seeding different parts of it. I still feel though that having one large torrent is easier to deal with than many smaller ones. With 50 different smaller packs filled with all sorts of duplicates in the end you download and seed a lot more that does not need to be seeded because of it. Managing and initial setup of a large torrent of course is also its own huge task.

gts6
    Participant

it sounds like a good backup/secondary plan ( as long as the torrent is organized and able to select only whats needed, nothing worse than a giant torrent in one big .ZIP or .RAR file and needing to get it all just to get one thing from it)

lin yier
    Participant

Interesting to see this post here. As a very long time (20+y) torrenter and having been involved in the running of private torrent trackers, I'll add some thoughts:

1: qbt is by far the best multiplatform client for general users, if you don't already have a preferred one.

2: Running a torrent tracker is extremely time and manpower intensive, and quickly dies without a dedicated team and users behind it. It's likely better to post the content from certain toxic creators and link the torrent files (or a magnet link) here.

3: A magnet link is a link to the torrent file, in a form of bootstrapping. The client uses the magnet link to download the torrent file, then uses the torrent file to download the content.

4: The web3 IPFS-based methods are technology wise just public torrents wearing a different hat. Once it stops being seeded, the content dies like any other.

5: @Ethiopia On all private trackers I'm aware of, torrents should be extracted into folders and not in a single zip file. Contrary to initial assumptions, it's better to have a partial seed than no seed at all, huge zip files get deleted and waste everyone's bandwidth. This appears to be a highly universal agreement amongst trackers, so I think it very likely has merit.

6: @littlepleasures It's always a delicate balance between having enough users to keep torrents alive and keep out the trolls. In the current case, I think the user pool is small enough that it is likely better to avoid closing invites, as @tedthelearner has mentioned, closing invites leads to quick stagnation.

Krazee
    Participant

I don't think I have never understood, or accomplished using torrents.

tedthelearner
    Participant

@Krazee There's a whole world out there for you to see.

Torrents let me download news programs from all over the world, not just the ones approved of by my own government, Torrents let me experience music from artists who are not easily available through stores/streaming services, Torrents show me that RuPaul has a franchise for Drag Race in over 500 countries, that's 500^n episodes of snatch game to sit through. BitTorrent is amazing. BitTorrent will show you just how horrible regional distribution really is.

Ethiopia
    Participant

@wtfthis,
    Thanks for that info.
    1) Is it possible to circulate a file using a torrent without using a tracker?
    2) Is it possible to create a torrent file that links to stuff on one's own computer, give that torrent file to someone, who is then able to get it from you?
    3) Could a file be spread this way among a group?
    Thanks for your help.

Ethiopia
    Participant

@krazee, You owe it to yourself to learn a bit about using a torrent client. The basics are straight forward. The amount of stuff available is mind boggling, especially old and/or obscure stuff.

lin yier
    Participant

It's been a while since I've used any public trackers, but assuming they still work like they did in the past, all of the above should be perfectly doable.

As long as a public tracker accepts announces of all torrent infohashes (as opposed to only torrents that are registered and/or uploaded to the tracker), then one simply has to create a torrent file pointing to that tracker, upload that torrent file to a private group, and then share that torrent file. As long as someone is seeding that torrent, it will work. Such lists are often published on Google, for example https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog/free-open-and-working-torrent-tracker-list-for-2023/

So to achieve what you are asking,

1: Create a torrent file that references some content you wish to share, adding the announce URLs of these trackers.

2: Load that torrent file onto your computer and point it to the content

3: Share the torrent file with your private group of friends, who can download it normally.

Redflag
    Participant

Shoot, all I've used is Public trackers.

Say, you wouldn't be able to get me an invite... would you?
    😉

ADAM
    Participant

While I do miss KAT having a torrent trade behind enemy lines is probably a good way to gimp the site. Wouldn't be much different than sharing content without posting it publicly. Torrents don't require points either so why not just sh!tcan the point system and host content? Been awhile since I complained about something, so I need to get back in the groove. Either way if torrents are going up, I'd be open to trading content that venders are being anal about.

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like