Home Page › Forums › General Chat › Apartment Floor (54607) lighting
- This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 1 month ago by
Frank21.
-
AuthorPosts
-
August 26, 2021 at 5:52 PM #1724086
So I'm kinda stumped here... I downloaded the aforementioned architecture and since it's closed it's pitch black inside. But lo and behold it comes with iray light shaders. question is how do I apply it properly? Because I applied it on light surfaces like ceiling lights and it does make them glow but it hardly illuminates the structure. Do I need to add my own light? and the shaders are just for the lamps to look lit? and not actually for illumination? Thanks and sorry if this is a noob question.
August 26, 2021 at 7:57 PM #1724116I've used that scene myself in a couple of renders. I had to turn the luminance of the lightbulbs way up to 500,000 to get the lighting effect I was looking for. Having said that, I was looking for a washed-out effect so probably 100,000 would be enough for regular lighting.
August 26, 2021 at 8:22 PM #1724118i see... thanks! I was doubting myself if I was doing something wrong because it was so dim...
August 27, 2021 at 1:02 PM #1724509@littlepleasures thanks! while I did manage to illuminate the scene by adding the iray light shaders into the "bulb" surfaces in the architecture and then setting the luminance into 100,000 as per suggested. having another reliable way to light a scene wouldn't hurt so I'll start reading up on ghost lighting. thanks again!
August 27, 2021 at 3:47 PM #1724613So here's a weird question... does that facet-pattern emerge if you cast an emissive off of a single-poly surface, or does it suddenly behave itself, as if the light came from a flat-panel lighting surface?
Gonna have to dork with that when I get a chance...
August 28, 2021 at 1:16 AM #1724812@Ethiopia - Isn’t a ghost light just a mesh light with the opacity turned way down so that it’s not seen in a render?
Yes.... and no. You can make any object emissive and set the opacity to that of a Ghost Light. The benefit of Ghost Lights is that they are single poly planes and therefore render much faster than high poly objects.
They are very easy to control and I love them. -
AuthorPosts
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.



