Why does render time vary so much on scenes with little change?

Home Page Forums General Chat Why does render time vary so much on scenes with little change?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    davidxtaylor557
    Participant

So I rendered a scene earlier, two people standing in a room talking, and I think it took 9 minutes, which is great. I moved them around, mouth open, etc, but other than that nothing else changed. No new lights or additional textures. The next render took 32 minutes.

It's not a huge deal but I am curious why it can vary like this. Is there anything I'm missing?

Frank21
    Participant

I'm not sure if this would be the problem but have a look at this thread.

Accidental Render Revelation: Restarting Helps

davidxtaylor557
    Participant

God, you're right. It's almost certainly that, right? Thank you so much. I did like 5 renders in a row and the times were so random. From now on I'll restart each time.

Thank you so much for your help

Frank21
    Participant

Glad I could help david. Even if that wasn't the problem, DS can show random behaviour. I've had scenes the should render quickly that took ages and vice versa, for no apparent reason.

ToxicIce
    Participant

This program never ceases to amaze me with how many hidden actually good things it has that are really unintuitive to find unless you looks all over and at the same time the mess that it is on a fundamental level with its memory leak problems... Will we reach the day where the mythical being known as "Daz 5.0" that will fix all our troubles be out? Then again, I can imagine the release will be anything but solid if we ever find ourselves at that point.

If you wish to further improve your render times, look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBev_2ecxwM&list=LL&index=9

He talks about a few products you can find here as well to improve your render times like "Scene Optimizer", "Instancify" and "Ghost lights" which were added by Daz studio recently in their newest update, but I haven't tested them out and I imagine not everyone updated to the latest version.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like