Off Topic: Making webpages-software recomendations.

Home Page Forums General Chat Off Topic: Making webpages-software recomendations.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ethiopia
    Participant

I tried Reddit and got nowhere so am asking the most knowledgeable and easy going bunch I know...you.
    I'm making a database for my vintage magazine collection. I've tried the free and commercial offerings but they're either horrible or don't do what I want. I made a database in Photoshop using layers and while it looks the way I want, it doesn't work the way I want. I'd like a table with 12 months across the top and ten years down the side. I've made a page for each decade (70's to the 90's). This is easy in any word program (I use LibreOffice) but the hitch comes with the cover images. I've put a thumbnail of each cover in the 'box' so that I can see that (for example) the Mar-Apr (all these magazines are released bi-monthly) issue of 'Roundworm Monthly's cover. I want to be able to click on the thumbnail and have it go to a page with a large version of the cover with some information (date scanned, number of pages, etc). I found that doing it as an HTML page in my office suite worked well but am having problems with the details. I made a table and populated it with the thumbnails, and discovered how to make a link to a local directory where the large covers reside. I'm having trouble getting the thumbnails to nestle where I want on the main page. Exact positioning doesn't work no matter what I do.
    I looked around for HTML authoring software (I last used Netscape a million years ago) but all I get is either sites offering pre-made templates, or waaaay over-complicated HTML editors that are not easy.
    My questions are these...
    1) Is a table the right way to go or is there a layout that would make positioning easier?
    2) Is there a straight forward, relatively simple HTML authoring program anymore? LibreOffice seems to offer everything I need for a simple page.
    Thanks folks.

Elim
    Participant

I use trellian webpage for any webpages that I need. Can either put the code in or just select what you want to have. HTML is pretty easy to learn. W3Schools is a great website to learn with all types of programming.

stachelzelle
    Participant

🤔 based on your description, i can only guess where your problem is, but tables are a little tricky sometimes. they aren't used often anymore too, because usually you would use div's and css nowadays. maybe you should show us the html code for one of that pages, would be much easier to figure out what's wrong this way ...

heavensportal
    Participant

Notepad++ is good to use and doesn't add any extra code that most others do.

There is also Sea Monkey which is based on Netscape Composer. I agree that the way things are going is CSS and html5, tables are not used much anymore with all the responsive templates getting used.

Ethiopia
    Participant

Trellian seems to rate highly but how the hell do you download it? There's no download anywhere on the site.

Amber
    Participant

They don't make it any more, apparently.

@ethiopia

I really haven't done webpage dev in ages, so I'd be prone to endorse Dreamweaver, or Flash + Fireworks. But we all know where all that went, so I'd have to suggest Amaya:
    https://www.w3.org/Amaya/
    again, it's been a number of years since I've seen it, but it was very good for a lightweight FOSS IDE, I can only imagine it's gotten much better. oof, nevermind, it hasn't been in development since 2012.
    Jeez, has it been that long?!? I feel old now 🙁

Did you check out Google?
    https://webdesigner.withgoogle.com/
    Free, but it kinda feels like it's ad- and spy-centric. You know, just the kind of sh!t Google would make.

stachelzelle
    Participant

Dreamweaver is still good, but it has become huge over the years. if you just want to do some basic stuff with tables it's probably like cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer. but if you find an older version, i think it could be really useful ... with the code preview etc.

i should have an CS6 somewhere lying around on my disk, if you want it let me know ...

Amber
    Participant

I've been using Adobe since CS3, got them all. I was a Flash junkie for a long time, needed various versions to do different things because they kept crippling stuff.
    Dreamweaver is kinda bloated, it was better before Adobe got their hooks in it. It had interactive O'Reilly reference cards on right click!
    #howilearnedcssbeforeitwascool

Abad
    Participant

I used Blogspot a long time ago, but I think a WordExpress template could help you. (It has plenty of resources for specific requirements..)
    I stopped doing HTML since CSS and such modern things became fashionable... ;D

stachelzelle
    Participant

Dreamweaver is kinda bloated, it was better before Adobe got their hooks in it.

yeah, like all adobe products nowadays, this entire creative cloud shit is just a pain in the ass. i remember the days were dreamweaver was owned by macromedia, like freehand and flash 🥰 ...

Ethiopia
    Participant

I grabbed an older copy of Dreamweaver from the Pirate Bay. I may also play with the Google thing. Being Google, it'll probably be easy and I imagine that it's possible to NOT use their spying and tracking crap. I'm not too worried about that anyway since this database probably won't be online. The only reason I'm using HTML is that's the only way to make things interactive.
    Thanks everyone for your input.

Amber
    Participant

@Ethiopia
    look in the blog, we have CC2022 here. It may be a big download, but it's rock solid. I just installed DW myself from it, it checks out.
    Mainly I installed for PS, but added Animate to check it out, it's very much like the Flash is evolved from, was like finding an old pair of lost gloves... comfy 🙂

Ethiopia
    Participant

Thanks to @cage for pointing me to WordPress offsite builder. It can be used offline and has a ba-zillion add-ons and plugins. I'm playing with the super simple 'Elementor' drag and drop editor that does what it says it does. It's free and open source and in very active development.
    Thanks bud!

https://instantwp.com/

Elementor Website Builder

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like