Moving to 3DL from Iray.....

Home Page Forums General Chat Moving to 3DL from Iray.....

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    PhantomF4
    Participant

@nemain

Thanks for sharing. Maybe I’ll try animating. No way in hell I’d try that now. I need my computer for work

Ethiopia
    Participant

While reading up on 3DL I came across this script to bulk convert Iray shaders.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/139326/irayto3delight-conversion-script
    Unfortunately I can't download the script, all it get is an image. Maybe Daz doesn't like me (they don't) or it's all my anti-tracking stuff. Can someone get this script for me please? Thanks a bunch.
    E.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ethiopia

Check your PM for the script.

Ethiopia
    Participant

Hmmmm....after a lot of reading in Daz's forums (one thread was 81 pages long), and a LOT of experimenting on my own, I'm back to Iray.

3Delight CAN be a bit faster for the same scene but.....
    -lighting is harder. Lights in Iray work like they would in real life making setting up lights much more intuitive.
    -IRay and it's shaders look much better out of the box. 3Delight CAN look just as good but it takes much more work and fiddling with shaders. The Iray to 3DL shader conversion works fine but the results just aren't quite as nice as they are natively in Iray.

I've found many methods to reduce rendering time in Iray and have a much better grasp of lighting and scene optimization. I'm also rethinking how I set up my scenes. I always built stuff the way I would in real life with complete rooms and furnishings, even if they weren't in the render. From now on the only items loaded will be the things that the camera sees.

ADAM
    Participant

I dont normal consider my renders taking a long time but if you habe ways of speeding it up, ill listen.

Ethiopia
    Participant

@dOggOd,
    -Keep lighting simple. I was using the Reading Room as a base for my trials and had the ceiling and wall lights as emissives (despite not having any of them in the view of the render camera). When I deleted them all, leaving the three spotlights to illuminate the scene, render dropped from 12 hours to 5.
    -transparencies are a killer. I made all the translucent curtains and clothes invisible and watched the render time drop again to just over an hour.
    More (maybe) to come.

Ethiopia
    Participant

...oh ya, enable DOF (Depth of Field) in the camera to decrease renders by about 10%. Using a figure of 64 gives a subtle blur to the background that looks much more realistic.
    E.

ADAM
    Participant

Thanks. So far my longest render was just under 2 hours.

Why 5 hours? High Resolutions, Lots objects?

Ethiopia
    Participant

A combination of all of those factors and more. I tend to go a little nuts when building scenes. I have a great time adding props and changing clothes and posing them and....I guess it's like a kid playing with dolls. At some point I'll set the render camera on one particular view or vignette and hit render. I got used to starting a render at bedtime and having a look at it in the morning. I'll still 'play with dolls', but when it comes time to render I'll be using only the stuff that's in the scene.
    I'm also going to give the scene optimizer a go.

PhantomF4
    Participant

@D0gg0d
    Two words... graininess and fireflies.
    That’s the case for me anyway. My longest render has been 12 hrs and I still couldn’t get it the way I wanted it.

EvilMonkey
    Participant

Iray loves lights, fucking loves them. Your graphics card however fucking hates them, so many calculations to consider. That's what pissed me off making decent scenes, I wanted lights here, lights there and additional figures all over the place and my renders just ground to a fucking crawl.

@not-hunter did you try that (https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio), it adds light based rendering to 3DL and "can" optimise iray if what I read is correct.

Currently I'm not able to do fuck all as windows updated and brought back a bug I thought I'd got rid about a year ago. So my system just freezes up at random times and needs to be reset with no logged errors. Happy days.

ADAM
    Participant

I had that window bug. I re-installed the one before that free upgrade. However my new system is ok with it.

silverboaX
    Participant

I dunno what you people are doing to your poor PCs 😀 I auto update windows (more or less) and I haven't had this issue. Maybe a hardware incompatibility thang.

ADAM
    Participant

My old laptop would crash hard or the screen would have anaphylactic shock after Win 10 gave me a free update. I wasnt planning on it but that Fn FREE UPDATE popped up ever start.

Quick fixes and patches didnt help. So it was just a software / hardware compatibility issue. Yet they had no way to roll back. So had to use a reinstall disk.

silverboaX
    Participant

If history is a guide the next windows will be awful, so learn to love it 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like