Moving to 3DL from Iray.....

Home Page Forums General Chat Moving to 3DL from Iray.....

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Ethiopia
    Participant

I've been disappointed with Iray due to the time required to render. I like to dress my girls in lots of flowly, diaphanous gowns with l-o-n-g veils. The rooms get draped in sheer curtains and I dress the place in lots of props. This combination drags renders into days to get anything decent. I'm NOT going to mortgage my house or sell my vintage car to buy a killer NVidia card just for Iray. Daz paid big money to NVidia for the tech and is (of course) pushing it for all it's worth. If it wasn't for all the free shaders here, I'd have gotten off the bandwagon long ago. This thread pushed me over the edge this morning...
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/229666/i-may-abandon-iray-and-revert-to-3dl-however
    I've seen posts for Iray to 3DL converters and will look it up. It sure would be nice to have a decent render in a few hours vice a few days.

Morri
    Participant

For the bigger stuff, I use an iray server at a cost of $1.10 an hour. It doesn't take all that long to render stuff. Things that take hours on my machine have taken about 20 minutes on the iray server so it's been worth the cost.

I don't use it so much now cause of my fancy pants new computer hubby bought me cause my old one died but it comes in handy from time to time.

PhantomF4
    Participant

@nemain

What is that? A render farm?

Meriel
    Participant

I never used 3DL since I used Poser Pro until way after Iray was added to Daz but I started with a fairly shoddy old Nvidia card and kept render times usually under 2 hours even for semi complicated renders by using scene optimizer and removing everything not visible in the render at the time. Now I have one of those fancy new cards a 1080ti but still do all that I can to optimize textures and what is visible in the render so my render times have been really really short.

I got a good deal on my new card and bought it during black friday/ cyber monday sales. So I paid less than 900 but had been saving up for 6 months by tuning down my gaming and leisure budget. I could have gotten it for another 100 less if I did not insist that the card was from EVGA... they are a little more pricey than some of the other manufacturers for NVidia cards.

I think there is a fairly new Iray to 3DL converter over at rendo vyktohria has one for characters and cloth that a friend of mine uses and likes. And then there is that free one on the Daz Forums that people seem to like.

Undesignated
    Participant

Welcome to 3Delight! There are some great shaders and presets for 3Delight. One of them being from wowie: https://zonegfx.com/lumina-materials-library/ This preset library is excellent for glass and metal, as well as plastic, rubber and water, and various other presets.

There are some Iray to 3Delight converters. I am working on a script that converts Iray to Ubersurface2 and has been a success for me converting characters on-the-fly, and as soon as wowie gets his aweSurface 3Delight shader out, we will have a new toy to play with, which when he does release it, it will be FREE, of course the commercial version will have presets included.

Ethiopia
    Participant

@undesignated,
    Thanks for the link and the info. I did read a bit about the aweSurface shader and am looking forward to it.

I believe that the current pricing of NVidia cards due to coin mining is going to drive 3Delight to enjoy a resurgence in popularity. This wouldn't play well with Daz since they will have paid NVidia a pile to license Iray.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm no real fan of the Iray render engine in DAZ but you can get near good results with some tweaking. This took me 3.5 minutes with the CPU and GPU combined.
    It's only a test render after messing about but needs more work and perhaps some post work.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Danny
    Participant

Geez, i never knew you could combine cpu and gpu to render, wow! That was worth the price of admission...

Anonymous
    Inactive

More complex scenes will require a rocket ship GPU and a Zillion core CPU.
    Combined they make a great room heater :p

Ethiopia
    Participant

These are nice @norbertz but add five more girls and throw a pile of long robes and gowns on them. Then change all those gowns to various sheer satiny fabrics with glitter and lace textures. Then add hosery, lingerie, jewelry, big hair and veils. Then (lots of 'thens' here) add a large room with tons of furniture and many props. I use one large ghost light for general illumination and add numerous small lights to accent stuff. Of course there's the wall sconces and a couple of chandeliers, all fully equipped with numerous small bulbs. My scenes suck the bee-jesus out of my computer and I'm more than willing to sacrifice some realism for renders that don't take days.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ethiopia

LMAO!

Thanks for the heads up 🙂
    I had a little time on my hands so messed around in DS with the figure in various locations. One not so complex scene was a room with the doll sat on a chair,
    the render process just took forever on simple shaded walls.
    Half an hour into the render I gave up as the render process didn't appear to be moving along, that was with both the GPU and CPU at full throttle!!
    This is why I would prefer Vray, the texture conversion from DS is another story though 🙁

BTW I hope the image is in good taste for anyone viewing.
    *Note the DOF camera so you don't get a full on rear end shot 😉

Morri
    Participant

@robf4g210 yeah, makes my life a bit easier though it was tricky to find and get signed up. Had to send them an email and wait for ages to get onboarded but it was worth it.

https://www.nimbix.net/

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ethiopia

Almost forgot. Have you tried the Iray scene optimizer that's lurking around Zone?
    It might help you with those complex scenes.

deafx
    Participant

Iray CPU render is slow AF and CPU + GPU combo rarely gives any gain in performance because.. iray is just not optimized for a CPU. Just get a better nVidia card or.. switch to a different render engine. I have a 1080ti and a 1080 in my desktop and it's still somewhat slow for complex interior scenes... The best are outdoor scenes using an HDRI pano... It's stupid fast for that...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, similar setup here but I still prefer Vray to Iray any day of the week.
    It just blast through any scene however complex.
    Iray has it's flaws. Expensive hardware is just the first hurdle users come across.
    Not exactly hobbyist friendly....

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Post You Might Like