How to get points now?

How to get points now?

Home Page Forums Useful Resources How to get points now?

This topic contains 30 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dilan Dilan 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
Profile photo of Joseph Lemons

Joseph Lemons

said

Since the sharing buttons are now gone, how are we supposed to get points to download things?

September 10, 2016 at 5:40 pm
Profile photo of eelgoo

eelgoo

said

A good way is uploading something on topic that isn’t already here.

September 10, 2016 at 6:15 pm
Profile photo of Dilan

Dilan

said

An option to be able to pay for it would be nice, so it can also help out with server costs. Maybe $7 for 3000 points ?

September 10, 2016 at 8:41 pm
Profile photo of WeaZ3ley

WeaZ3ley

said

Buying points isn’t different from buying membership and most people don’t like that idea. But I don’t own this website.

You get 50 points just for making one visit a day. That’s one download. You get 50 points for anything you upload even if nobody “buys” it. That’s another download. You get 25 points every time somebody “buys” anything you upload. That can add up quickly to more points you can use to download things.

There are some other ways to get points that you can find for yourself. Don’t just say “I can’t upload anything new and cool to make points.” I gave somebody 1000 points today just because he did something useful.

September 10, 2016 at 9:21 pm
Profile photo of Arty

Arty

said

Maybe the site can host a render competition for points. Or maybe one of the point rich members on the leaderboard may wish to host one. Just a thought. At least people may actually spend some time making art instead of just collecting. LOL

September 10, 2016 at 10:00 pm

WeaZ3ley

said

Actually not a bad idea. I wonder what @hunter thinks. I could even see giving away some points for that myself.

September 10, 2016 at 10:10 pm
Profile photo of ohey

ohey

said

Personally, I wouldn’t mind if there was an option to buy credits if it helps finance the infrastructure. The price should not be too high, not to make profits but just to cover some costs. The current hosting is too slow already and if this community continues to grow, the current setup will cause problems.

There will always be leechers, so making them contribute with a dollar or two instead of, I dunno, dumping huge amounts of old content or gaming the points system with bogus friend requests or direct messages … But that’s just my opinion. 😉

A competition would be nice, already thought about that, too 🙂

September 11, 2016 at 8:26 am
Profile photo of Dilan

Dilan

said

Pretty much what Ohey said. Every 5 pages I open one fails to load and the website is more or less crawling at the moment. Ever since kat went down, more and more people will turn to these sites and let’s be honest, this one is at the top right now.

For the sake of not making too much of a change and make people feel like they have to pay to get points, you can add a max and only donation of $5 for 2000points and for the sake of even more control, you can only donate once every 2weeks or a month.

That way this won’t transform into a cash cow, but still cover for better servers and maintenance costs in the future, while not impacting future content uploaders because it’s otherwise easier to get points by donating rather than uploading.

September 11, 2016 at 10:10 am

WeaZ3ley

said

If you guys really want to see a pay for points system of some sort in play then I suggest you contact @hunter and ask him about it. I’m not completely averse to the idea if it’s 100% optional I guess. Users with more points means more downloads which means I get more points. As do the others who upload. On the other hand I have way more points than I need already 🙂

September 11, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Profile photo of eelgoo

eelgoo

said

I have just noticed yesterday that uploads have been reduced to 25 points.

I am unsure whether that is good news. It wouldn’t have been so bad if the 50 for a download had been reduced to 25.

:0/

September 11, 2016 at 4:11 pm

WeaZ3ley

said

Actually I hadn’t even noticed that there had been a change in points for uploads. A fairly small fraction of my point “income” comes from uploads so it doesn’t really affect me much.

I guess it was done as a way discourage mass uploading of stuff just to get the 50 points. I don’t know how effective it will be but it might make some folks a bit more selective in their upload choices. Instead of getting one download for every upload it will take an upload that one person actually “buys” the download for to get a download of your own. Or 2 uploads of course.

Hopefully it doesn’t result in a huge flood of “junk” from folks even more desperate for points.

September 11, 2016 at 4:27 pm
Profile photo of Yanko

Yanko

said

Reducing points for uploads is not a good thing. You want people to upload stuff, that’s the whole point of the site. People putting up junk no one wants won’t take up any resources and eventually it’ll stop since you aren’t allowed to upload something already up. I still like a lot of the old stuff I’ve saw on here.

September 11, 2016 at 6:01 pm
Profile photo of eelgoo

eelgoo

said

Well @hunter has the rubber stamp on all uploads.
I can’t see that poor uploads will be tolerated anyway.
That said there have been some duplicate uploads on occasion.
I’m not sure if they are pruned though.

:0/

September 11, 2016 at 9:31 pm

WeaZ3ley

said

“People putting up junk no one wants won’t take up any resources” is wrong. Every post takes some bandwidth, some database load and some server load. Going through 5 pages takes basically 5 times as much as looking at one page. It’s not as much as hosting the actual files but it is certainly non-trivial.

I believe @hunter is working on an FAQ that might clarify some things. @hunter is the one that approves the posts for publication. He pretty much checks to make sure there is no malicious code, broken images or obvious glitches. I don’t think he really has the time to do a search for every single post to check for duplication. That’s something that should really be done by the posters but some don’t search or just don’t care if it’s already posted.

September 12, 2016 at 1:23 am
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2013 ZoneGfx. All rights reserved.                                                            Follow: Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest